The next few pictures didn't come out as well as I planned, but I couldn't get any closer for them to be bright enough. As you know, the Democratic Debate was here the other day (and since we are a caucus state, this was a pretty big deal around here) and Hillary's rally was scheduled to take place at the high school were I work! Of course, since most of the staff was going, I decided to go and see what I could see. America Ferrera (famous for her show Ugly Betty) gave the introduction speech and then Hillary and Chelsea Clinton along with lots of other people I don't know, came on stage. Her speech was pretty good! I'm bummed because I had left my purse in a friend's classroom and as soon as she was done he wanted to leave, so I had to go. I regret it now because she walked around forever and talked with people, signed autographs, and answered questions. I had a few things I wanted to ask her too :( The rally was very small for security reasons so there were only about 300 people there. I had a great chance to talk to her and missed it. I may not know who I'm voting for yet, but it would have been cool to at least talk to her.
There were lots of secret service guys there which was cool and during the day our school was pretty much on lockdown so they could get things ready for her to come. My students were freaked out because they were afraid the dogs would sniff the lockers and find someone's "stash". Did I mention my school is in the middle of the ghetto?! In fact, we've been on three lockdowns since the fall for shootings in the neighborhood and just today there was a serious gang related drug bust involving school police and metro. I knew it was bigger than the normal issue since they blocked off the street. There's never a dull moment at Desert Pines High School!
Dan wanted me to go to another school, but I let him know our kids don't want to shoot us, just each other. It's very rare for kids to be mad at us. Besides, a Columbine-style plan was uncovered at one of the more affluent schools in town so it's not just the poor kids that get in trouble. I've been working in "high-risk" schools since I started teaching eight years ago, so I'm used to all the chaos. I love my kids (even though I wish more of them could read and write to grade level) and once you have their trust and loyalty, they'll do anything for you. Life in a urban high school sure is interesting!
Anyway, talk care y'all and we'll keep you posted on any baby news. We go in for the next ultrasound on the 22nd so we'll post pictures as soon as we can :)
-Love, Christine, Dan, Jackson, and baby Umina
4 comments:
How did he get that bump? Ouch!
LOL! Jack ran into a brick wall! When I asked him what happened he said, "Mommy! The wall HIT me!". SO funny!
That is so funny!! Tell him he needs to fight back against those walls. He is still the cutest little boy even with a little bump.
Can we truly call Jack-a real "bruiser"? Doesn't matter, he looks adorable no matter what. Make sure to put this photo in an album for some "remember when" moments in the future. My Dad used to tell me to kick back when the wall does those things!
Wow! Quite the place there-three lockdowns? We haven't even had a drill yet in that one! It is coming....we were warned in our last Fac meeting. As for the great students....I know what you are talking about. I find the same with my special education students-they come back to visit after they graduate too! It is true about the pay not being the greatest as a teacher but the benefits and rewards......priceless!
Hugs to all.....Dan is becoming like his Dad.....very protective of his family and that is a good thing.
Mom Umina
Post a Comment